Detailed information can be found in the draft planning documents, which are available on our Documents and Downloads page.
About the proposals:
- The site is owned and will be developed by The Bampton Property Group (part of the Freshwater Group)
- A new, modestly-sized Aldi food store with a net sales area of 1,254m2
- Redevelopment of a vacant brownfield site, which was formerly a Blakemore cash and carry site off Caernarfon Road
- Customer access off Caernarfon Road, which will be improved for shared access to Aldi and neighbouring Dunelm stores
- Spaces for 113 cars, including 6 disabled and 7 parent-and-child spaces
- Free customer parking
- Dedicated cycle parking spaces
- Protecting approximately 27 full-time local jobs (currently at the Garth Road store) and the creation of ten further jobs, which will be paid at an industry-leading rate of £9.10 per hour as a minimum
- Additional employment opportunities during construction and the supply chain
- Attractive landscaping incorporated around the site to enhance its appearance
- A new store in an excellent retail location which would reduce the need for customers to travel further afield
Highways, access, and parking
We plan to have 113 car parking spaces, including 6 disabled and 7 parent-and-child spaces for the Aldi store. This is compliant with Gwynedd County Council’s policy as well as Aldi’s operational requirements. Freshwater’s proposals also include 56 additional parking spaces for the neighbouring store, Dunelm.
The proposal also includes improvements to Caernarfon Road around the shared point of access to the site and the neighbouring Dunelm store via the creation of a roundabout.
Further supporting detailed information and consultant reports regarding the traffic, access, and parking arrangements are included in the documentation available to download here.
A contemporary design
Our proposal is to provide a high-quality and attractive food store for the community off Caernarfon Road, Bangor.
To ensure an excellent appearance over the long-term, Aldi uses high-quality materials both inside and outside its buildings. The new Aldi store will utilise a combination of anthracite grey and metallic silver cladding with a charcoal brickwork plinth, representing the qualities of nearby retail developments along Caernarfon Road. It will have large elements of glazing along the western elevation, together with a contemporary pressed metal feature canopy.